This morning we set out from Rotorua, NZ to head to Lake Taupo, a huge volcanic activity region with absolutely phenomenal scenery. We checked out Huka Falls, where over 40 cubic meters per second rushed out over a water fall. We then headed down to Tongaririo National Park which is where Mt. Doom and Modor from Lord of the Rings were filmed. We did the Taranaki Falls Walk, which was a two hour loop hike taking us past phenomenal plains, waters, and forests....oh and did I mention the WATERFALL??? It was absolutely beautiful. We then continued our drive down towards Wellington, driving through some of the windiest and twistiest road that I have been on...but (patting myself on the back), I handled them like a champ :) We grabbed dinner on our way and then had a beautiful sunset view over the ocean about an hour out from Wellington. Checking into our phenomenal hotel, we caught up on some ZZZZZZZZs for the night (and attempted to do laundry...see tomorrows post for more on that...lol).
A tale of how four friends--Brad, Suzanne, Nina, and Antja--traversed nine cities in two countries over the course of three weeks in December 2011 and January 2012.
December 25, 2011: Rotorua, NZ to Tongaririo, NZ to Wellington, NZ
Kia Ora!
This morning we set out from Rotorua, NZ to head to Lake Taupo, a huge volcanic activity region with absolutely phenomenal scenery. We checked out Huka Falls, where over 40 cubic meters per second rushed out over a water fall. We then headed down to Tongaririo National Park which is where Mt. Doom and Modor from Lord of the Rings were filmed. We did the Taranaki Falls Walk, which was a two hour loop hike taking us past phenomenal plains, waters, and forests....oh and did I mention the WATERFALL??? It was absolutely beautiful. We then continued our drive down towards Wellington, driving through some of the windiest and twistiest road that I have been on...but (patting myself on the back), I handled them like a champ :) We grabbed dinner on our way and then had a beautiful sunset view over the ocean about an hour out from Wellington. Checking into our phenomenal hotel, we caught up on some ZZZZZZZZs for the night (and attempted to do laundry...see tomorrows post for more on that...lol).
This morning we set out from Rotorua, NZ to head to Lake Taupo, a huge volcanic activity region with absolutely phenomenal scenery. We checked out Huka Falls, where over 40 cubic meters per second rushed out over a water fall. We then headed down to Tongaririo National Park which is where Mt. Doom and Modor from Lord of the Rings were filmed. We did the Taranaki Falls Walk, which was a two hour loop hike taking us past phenomenal plains, waters, and forests....oh and did I mention the WATERFALL??? It was absolutely beautiful. We then continued our drive down towards Wellington, driving through some of the windiest and twistiest road that I have been on...but (patting myself on the back), I handled them like a champ :) We grabbed dinner on our way and then had a beautiful sunset view over the ocean about an hour out from Wellington. Checking into our phenomenal hotel, we caught up on some ZZZZZZZZs for the night (and attempted to do laundry...see tomorrows post for more on that...lol).












